Monday, May 3, 2010

Bokamosa School Day 1








So it is May 3rd 2010 and I can't believe I am in Botswana, AFRICA!! I spent the day at a junior school called Bokamosa. Today was our first work day... Today was my first exposure to the school system in Africa... Today was my first time interacting with teens from Africa... Today is what I have prepared for since January... Today I learned more than I could ever imagine... Today came and went too fast... Today I was touched by many amazing young people... Today I learned what true service means... Today has begun a journey I will partake in the rest of my life.

There had been so much anticipation for today. When we arrived at the school I was soooo excited. We were greeted and taken to our classrooms. There were those first jitters, hellos, smiles, and awkward silences. I began the day in the education program. I have 8 students in my small group... 6 boys and 2 girls. Let me just say they were AMAZING. We are doing a PSA on the fighting and negative emotions that accompany alcohol use. The group of students are so cohesive and worked so well together. I sat back and observed how they interact with one another and how they use their Setswana(language). They spoke to each other in setswana very fast and would later explain to me. The students are so close, their personal bubbles are much smaller than what we are accustomed to in the United States. Otiliah- one of the girls in my small group is so smart, she helped me so much by learning everyones names. I cannot wait for the filming tomorrow.

The classrooms at the school are very different from those in America. There is a small chalkboard, a push pin board, 3 large windows, and steel poor shape desks. It was definitely a reality check looking around their classroom and learning what their resources are compare to ours.

During "tea" their snack break we got to see the student's personalities! They were dancing, singing, and talking with us. Oh and they LOVE getting their picture taken, they were all crowding around us and asking us to take pictures with them.

Finally after all of this it was time to do the program I have been preparing since January!! Woohoo!! We have created a program based on resilience that include a few activities and stories. My favorite part of the program today was my small group. I had 8 students, 4 boys and 4 girls. One boy did not speak any English... WOW how confusing today must have been for him. One of the older boys that was a great leader translated for him which was amazing to see his natural skills for being a leader. I can just see the future in his eyes and that he will accomplish so much in his lifetime despite the struggles he has faced such as his mother dying and being supported by a single father. The two girls, Sessya and Maranja were also in my group. It took awhile for them to warm up to me but they finally did and it was wonderful. They were so smart and confident in themselves. The input I got from them on personal struggles and wanting to help others was so heartwarming.

Lastly, we observed a class for awhile. The students were very kind and I looked arouned at their tarnished notebooks and how accustomed they are to sharing textbooks. How blessed I have been in my life to not even appreciate my school supplies and textbooks. The two girls I sat next to were so funny and kept asking me questions about America.

I enjoyed today so much and cannot wait for the next 3 days!!
-Morgan Forrester Psychology Team

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It really makes one think of life, how precious it is, how God has given these children their smiles despite their worries and thier stories. How happy they were to help each other out as well as your self, and their eagerness to learn!! It was refreshing to hear how they worked so well with one another!! It put life in perspective!! Thank you!! I wait each day to read your all's entries. It is something I look so forward to!! Thank you and Margaret for taking the time to put it on the blog so we can share Africa with all of you!!
    Rachael Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caytie,
    It is so good to see you teaching in the classrooms!! I love the picture!! I know you are having an amazing time! I can't wait to see you and Casey and to hear the stories you have as well as all the pictures, but for you all's sake I wish you had more time over there!! It just sounds like you all are having life changing experiences! What a great experience to have as you go into your own classroom. Your time there as well as your other travels will be such an asset to your teaching career. I am so proud of you and Casey and the whole team. Casey said the trip into the towns were worth the whole trip. I know he has learned so much and I know you both have grown!! I love you sooo much and I hope your days in the classroom enriches your life!!
    Your dad wants you to know that after almost getting his leg bit off from Dixie Pearl he is starting to be on Princesses's side!
    Love you!!! momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany,Hi beautiful!! You look like you are having an amazing time!! I love seeing you all in pictures, as I told Caytie and Casey it make me feel as though I am with you all! I can't wait to hear all your stories! How is the PSA teaching going? I read that the students there were very engaged with the program. I am so glad, I know this was dear to your heart!! It is such a problem among teens today and can changes lives in such a negative way that I am so happy to hear that it is a part of your curriculum. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to reading more tomorrow. Love Momma Page

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, Hi fiend!! I am so thankful for the time you take to post pictures and blog entries. It gives us at home a look into what you all are doing, how you are changing lives, and we get an insight into life there. I wake up each morning and go to bed looking at the blog. I can't explain what the entries and pictures mean to me! I know first hand how important it is for Margaret to watch people succeed. To all of you out there, I am personally one of Margaret's success stories. Margaret gave me the drive to come back to college after 28 years, not allowing any excusers from me, and pushed me to graduate from U of L as an adult the same year my twins graduated from high school (Casey is one of the twins). I congratulate each of you for finding the means to go to Africa, to follow your hearts, to change lives around you, as your lives are changing!! Thank you again for all your efforts and for keeping the blog alive with your journey! Rachael Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey baby sorry it took me so long for this to happen. I am a techno idiot. I have read the blogs every day well at least the ones my madre posted. Your apartment and car are doing fine. I have checked on them every day while you have been petting cheetahs. Just kiddin. It looks like you guys are having fun and doing some good. I miss you so much. Our conversations our kisses and every thing else. Can't wait to see you. I am proud of what you are doing and I hope all your thoughtless hard work is paying off. Oh and Joe said hi. Forever yours Beard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. brit- count your blessings that you have me for a sis. I helped beard, so it could post. It seems to be missing you. We have plans for when you get back. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Hannah!

    So this is your pal Kathryn Lillie. I hope you're having fun. From the pictures it looks like you're having an awesome time. Some of them gave me goosebumps. I miss you! You better call me the second you land in the US. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete