Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chiefs and Mokolodi Nature Reserve





The ISLP team had a full day of activities. First thing, we visited the chiefs of Africa monument and learned a great deal about the history and independence of Botswana. The guide was knowledgeable, proud, and passionate about his country. He made the history of his country come alive to our students. Next on the schedule was a trip to the art and history museum, but like many other places that we have traveled on these trips...the posted hours were not the operational hours, so the only art and history that we could see was outside of the museum. We then took a short ride to the Parliament buildings. We walked around and took in the sights of the government buildings and courtyards.

Next we took a ride outside of the city to the Mokolodi Nature Reserve. We hopped onto open Jeeps and took off into the reserve. It was amazing to see impalas, ostrich, zebras, giraffes, wart hogs, cheetah, and an animal that looked like a large deer with huge ears. They were in their natural habitat and roaming freely. Thankfully, we stayed in the Jeep...until we were able to get out at the cheetah cage and pet Duma a cheetah that had been orphaned as a cub. As you can see from the pics, Duma became part of the team. At the end of our trip, the reserve had a table set up for us to eat lunch outside by the lake. It was a truly wonderful day, and we all enjoyed it immensely.

Tonight, we met in our groups to finalize our work for tomorrow. All of us are excited to get started on our service projects. Everyone is doing well.

9 comments:

  1. It is so exciting to hear about your time in Gabarone! I wish you the best and hope you touch many lives through your work over the next few days. Looking forward to what is posted next! You all make me very proud to be a Cardinal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so amazed by your adventures. I have been following the blogs and trying to post comments. Hope this one gets through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nate. Miss you on this trip! MP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hannah,

    I showed Milo the picture of all of you in front of the BIG kitten. Milo asked lots of questions. I calmed him down and told him he is not being replaced. :)

    Dad

    PS We all miss you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casey, Hey BOY!! I love you in the picture. I know this was another part of an amazing experience!! I loved hearing how amazing it was for you to go into the city, to see the amazing art work that was done with the available resources. I am very proud of what you said, I know that you and Caytie are have a chance of a lifetime!! Soak it all in, learn from it all, and take it with you where ever you go. As I told Caytie Imiss you all so much and can't wait to get the whole story, but I wish you all had more time there teaching in the classrooms! This will be experiences that you can take with you when you teach!! I have laughed about the monkeys and how the people there laughed at you all. That was a funny story!! Well keep up the good work you all are doing and I love you so much!!! Momma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Caytie May, As I told your brother I love seeing you in the pictures. It brings me close to you all and lets me feel like in am in Africa with you all!! Keep that beautiful smile on your face, and enrich the minds of your students.
    By the way, Dixie Pearl is sitting on the back of the leather chair, snipping at all those who are brave enough to come near her. Earlier she snarled with a mouth full of dog food, I know you take it as a talent :)
    Well I look forward to reading what tomorrow brings. I love you sooooo much!! Momma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Momma,
    I'm soooo glad that you were able to blog!!! I miss and love you bunches. The team has been crazy busy tryin to get plans together and finish our projects. I'm excited to see your beautiful face, see you soon LOVE YOU!!!
    The best daughter in the WORLD-Britts

    ReplyDelete
  8. RAY RAY,
    We're having an amazing trip and thanks for following us on the blog. We are in need of some FAMILY time....late night talks, crazy dogs and battle of the sexes!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE-Daughter #4-Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Britts!!
    I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of you for following your heart and fulling your dreams! I have so enjoyed keeping track of your adventures and am glad everyone is having a great time. Watch out Africa, here she comes!

    I am taking 1/2 day off tomorrow (Wednesday 5/5) to go to Owensboro for the arrival of Master Mason Henry Ridge!! I'll give him a big kiss from his Aunt B.

    luv ya, mom

    ReplyDelete