Thursday, May 6, 2010

Final Post

Our last day of work is completed. We made many friends, touched many lives, had our hearts touched, and went without a lot of sleep. It was an amazing experience for students and faculty. We experienced another continent, worked with people who do things very differently than we do, and found that despite our differents in culture that we have many things in common.

The children at the schools in which we worked were terrific young people. We got to know them well during the week. Many of them have difficult or sad stories to tell about their lives, but for those few hours that we spent with them, they had big smiles and happy hearts. So did we! Our videos that the teams produced turned out great, and the students LOVED seeing themselves on the public service announcements about alcohol use and the public speaking project. The handprint shirts and the strengths chains in the resilience project were powerful messages to the students. They are hanging in the school library. The bullying workshops were touching as the students told us stories of being harassed and bullied. Their role plays told the stories of struggling young people.

Thank you all for keeping us with us on this journey! We have loved telling our stories. Thank you also for your support. We will leave Botswana today and will be home soon, but we will bring a piece of Africa home with us. It was a truly amazing experience, and one that we will never forget.

















1 comment:

  1. Hi all,

    I just want to thank you so much for going to Africa and representing the University of Louisville. I know you all have had such an amazing experience and have changed the lives of many as well as your lives have changed FOREVER!! I have already said this before, and I will say it again, I have loved reading each and every word of your blog. Margaret, I can't thank you enough for your tireless efforts to post every picture, all the entries from your collogues, all the while allowing us back home to be a part of your all adventures. It gave me so much comfort to read and see what you all were doing each day, and of course seeing my children in the pictures!!

    I will be so glad to see you all when you get off the plane, and when I do I know I will be hugging my children who will be so much richer in their lives, have grown with the experiences they have had, the people who they befriended, the things they have seen, and the stories they have heard.Have a safe trip home!! Love Momma Page

    ReplyDelete