Saturday, May 1, 2010

It's Saturday!

Hello all -
I have met many new friends today, including Natasha and her mommy. (Natasha is four.)

We had an opportunity to visit not one, but two villages, as well as a local art gallery, a children's orphanage and the area mall. It was so wonderful to meet local people and receive accurate pronuciation of several tswana words.

As with the other days, everyone has been most gracious and has (attempted) to educate me in the correct pronuciation of several Tswana common phrases. I even had a gentleman to approach me and say, "You must pronounce the words as an African. Not as an African-American." These statements were, of course, followed by much laughter by the two of us. He added, "I knew that you were an American. Your accent was a TRUE give away" (of course, followed by more laughter)

Like my colleagues, I have come across other Kentuckians. While at a local restaurant, I met a lady from Covington, KY.

So there you have it... "It is a small world, after all." (LOL)

- Kenyatta Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment